NHS Orkney

Complaints Procedure

In the NHS in Orkney, we try to give you the best possible care and treatment. This includes making sure people are treated properly and promptly. However, sometimes people are dissatisfied with the service they have received and wish to make a complaint. When we receive a complaint, we aim to provide a thorough response as quickly as possible.

We value comments, good or bad, to help us improve the service.

If you are not happy with an aspect of your care within any of NHS Orkney’s services, please let us know.

How to complain:
  • If you can, talk to a member of staff involved in your care. If you do this, we can try to sort out your complaint at the time;
  • If you are not able to talk to the NHS staff involved in your care, you can ask to speak to a senior member of staff or the NHS Orkney Complaints’ Officer;
  • You can complain in person, by phone, in writing. You can also make your complaint by fax, e-mail or textphone (if available) but if you do this, other people may be able to see your personal information;
  • It will help us if you tell us: What took place;
  • Where it happened;
  • When it happened (date and time);
  • Who was involved.
  • We will keep information about you confidential. To investigate your complaint, we might have to talk to other NHS staff about you or show them your health records. If you do not want us to share information from your health records, you should tell us when you make your complaint. If you don’t agree, it may be more difficult to look into your complaint.
  • We will make a record of your details and complaint and use it to help us make services better.

For further details on the complaints procedure and how it works please see the Factsheet - here

To whom do you complain?

When complaining about an NHS Service you should complain directly to the person or organisation providing the service.

Please see below contact details of relevant organisations:


NHS Orkney
Julie Tait
Patient Experience Officer
NHS Orkney
Garden House
New Scapa Road
KW15 1BQ
Tel: 01856 888221
Email: Click here
NHS Grampian
NHS Grampian Feedback Service
Summerfield House
2 Eday Road
AB15 6RE
Tel: 0345 337 6338
Scottish Ambulance Service
Scottish Ambulance Service - National Headquarters
Gyle Square
1 South Gyle Crescent
EH12 9EB
Tel: 0131 3140000
The Patient Affairs Manager
NHS 24
Caledonia House
Cardonald Park
G51 4EB
Tel: 0141 3374501

Related Documents

Accessing Your Health Records

Confidentiality Leaflet

The NHS and You

Complaints - Factsheet